Head Custodian Position
Please contact the District Office for an application.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Only minimum duties are listed. Other functions may be required as given or assigned.
_____ 1. Monitors and adjust boilers as needed.
_____ 2. Put up and take down flag daily
_____ 3. Take and pick up mail
_____ 4. Snow removal from sidewalks and walks as needed
_____ 5. Vacuums rugs and carpets on a daily basis
_____ 6. Picks up trash and litter and empties and cleans trash and garbage receptacles on a daily basis
_____ 7. Cleans restrooms and drinking fountains on a daily basis
_____ 8. Replenishes supplies, and fills dispensers in restrooms
_____ 9. Maintains a clean and orderly gymnasium
_____ 10. Sweeps, mops, scrubs, and waxes floors
_____ 11. Dusts, waxes, washes, sanitizes and polishes furniture and woodwork
_____ 12. Wash rags, towels, dust mops, and mops
_____ 13. Washes windows and walls
_____ 14. Maintains areas adjacent to buildings in clean, safe, and sanitary condition
_____ 15. Respond to staff requests, within reason, for maintenance or repairs in a timely manner
_____ 16. Observes and reports need for repairs and makes repairs
_____ 17. Maintain and repair teacherages with superintendent approval
_____ 18. Stacks, assembles, and stores furniture, equipment and supplies
_____ 19. Performs routine maintenance duties
_____ 20. Does emergency cleanup resulting from vandalism, breakage, spillage or illness
_____ 21. Sets up for athletic events/cleans up following events
_____ 22. Arranges furniture and equipment for special activities
_____ 23. Prepare and paint interior and exterior walls
_____ 24. Water lawn, trees, and shrubs in the absence of grounds personnel
_____ 25. Submits orders to administrative office
_____ 26. Receives, stores, and distributes supplies
_____ 27. Schedules repairs and maintenance with approval from administration
Performs other duties as necessary in order to maintain a safe and functioning school buildings, teacherages, & surrounding areas
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Must have a boiler license, asbestos certification, and lead-base paint certification or ability to attend and pass trainings at within six months or earliest opportunity.
2. Previous custodial or janitorial work is desirable; high school diploma or equivalent; or any combination of training and experience likely to provide the desired knowledge and abilities.
3. Good physical condition and fitness
4. Knowledge of methods, materials, and equipment used in cleaning various types of surfaces and furniture
5. Knowledge of basic safety practices related to custodial work
6. Perform heavy physical labor
7. Work effectively without close supervision
8. Operate specialized cleaning and maintenance tools and equipment
9. Understand and follow a work schedule
10. Understand and carry out oral and written instructions
11. Maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
12. Ability to handle stressful situations
13. Ability to effectively manage time and responsibilities
Cleaning and maintenance tools and equipment, including but not limited to vacuum, floor polishers, floor strippers, miscellaneous scrubbing equipment, power tools.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works inside and outside, may come into contact with hazardous materials and body fluids. The employee must be able to meet deadlines with severe time constraints.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be noisy, depending upon the task at hand.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, stand travel from one building to another, push heavy equipment, twist at neck and waist, reach, and kneel. Specific vision abilities required by this job included close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. May be required to lift and/or carry more than 50 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee often performs routine work unsupervised. The employee frequently exercises flexibility (ability to shift from one task to another). Guidance and reinforcement are usually unavailable. The employee frequently works within time constraints and maintains attentiveness intensity. The employee may be involved in interactions which require oral and written communications.
The physical demands, work-environment characteristics, and mental/motor demands described within this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
For those classified employees employed under a written contract for a specific term, nothing contained in this job description shall create a property right beyond the specified duration of the employment contract.